We know that the global brown economy isn't working, and we know that green solutions that deliver safer, more sustainable and more equitable outcomes for all are within reach. We also know that for the transition to a truly green economy to take place at scale, it must be powered by small entrepreneurs and local businesses. But governments and institutions find it notoriously difficult to reach smaller enterprises, and so policies and practices often lag far behind what's required.
For our 2017 Global Meeting, the Green Economy Coalition (GEC) is focusing on how to support green enterprises so they can drive the transition to inclusive green economies. We're delighted to be partnering with the Caribbean Natural Resources Institute (CANARI), who hosted the 2017 meeting in Port of Spain, Trinidad, from the 1st - 3rd November 2017.
- Heard real life insights from green entrepreneurs and small business in the Caribbean;
- Shared and examine the evidence around different policy approaches supporting smaller business in the transition to greener economies;
- Tracked the status of the transition to green economies at the local and global level.
The meeting also provided input into a paper on scaling up local green enterprises and developing a global action agenda being developed by the Poverty Environment Partnership (PEP).
- The Santa Cruz Declaration on Local Green Enterprise
- GEC Global Strategy 2017 - Working draft
- Photographs from the event
- The Green Economy State of the World
- Green Economy in the Caribbean
- CARICOM: Opportunities for Green Enterprise
- OECS Green Economy Diagnostic Report
- Microfinance for SMEs - Development Alternatives
- Poverty Environment Partnership (PEP) working paper
- Dialogues - An Approach to Collaborative Partnerships
- The GEC three-tiered dialogue model
- Logistics note for conference
- Logistics note for field trip to Santa Cruz Green Market
- An introduction to the GEC - posters
The GEC Global Meeting is being supported by the European Commission.
Green economy news round-up: July
All the latest news & views from across the green economy and sustainability sector, in a handy monthly digest.
What we learned at the Stories for Life Virtual Gathering
What do stories and story-telling have to do with the daunting challenges we face in the coming century? Turns out, quite a lot.