African Forum on Green Economy
April - July 2020
30th Mar 2020 by GEC
Please note - due to the coronavirus outbreak, the dates for the African Forum on Green Economy have changed. Instead of compressing six sessions into three days, we will be spacing them out over the coming weeks, to allow participants a full and lively discussion.
The new dates are as follows:
- Diving into Water: 13th - 24th April
- Digging into Agriculture: 27th April - 8th May
- Natural Capital and Finance: 11th May - 22nd May
- Drilling into Infrastructure: 25th May - 5th June
- Data for Decision Making: 8th - 19th June
- Enabling Change: 22nd June - 3rd July
Investing in Natural Capital for a Resilient Africa
Of all regions on the planet, Africa faces some of the most material natural capital risks, and yet, some of the most clear and compelling opportunities for green, sustainable growth.
Fast growing sectors such as agriculture, forestry, infrastructure and others face significant risks from climate change, biodiversity loss and resource scarcity. Businesses across the continent will need better information to understand these risks, and to respond in a sustainable way.
Investors also need to better understand their opportunities and risk profiles in emerging African markets, and policymakers need to identify and enact smart legislation that provides natural, social and economic benefits for maximum sustainable growth.
“Fast growing sectors such as agriculture, forestry, infrastructure and others face significant risks from climate change, biodiversity loss and resource scarcity. Businesses across the continent will need better information to understand these risks, and to respond in a sustainable way.”
A new kind of conference
Due to coronavirus, the African Forum on Green Economy will be hosted entirely online - meaning that you can attend any of the sessions and interact with participants from your desk, wherever you are in the world.
Using interactive video webinar technology, live-streaming conferences, and an online discussion platform, the African Forum on Green Economy will enable all the debate, discussion and interaction of a major international conference - with none of the health risks or carbon emissions. Learn more
To provide the information necessary to inform this better decision making, we need:
- An honest and practical conversation about how businesses and countries can invest in their natural capital for sustainable yet profitable growth
- Robust and accessible data on how the state of natural capital affects the profitability and risk-exposure of operations and investments using insights such as national natural capital accounts.
- Collaboration and shared learnings on how to initiate and scale green, economic investments that are practical and effective, with benefits for multiple stakeholders.
- Strong, international agendas and networks that incentivize and embed greener economic decision-making.
Institutions across the continent will need the information and incentive to respond to these changes in a sustainable way. The Forum will help all stakeholders anticipate and prepare for risks and opportunities, and propose collaborative ways forward.
What makes this Forum different?
This forum builds connections between people and concepts, with a focus on practicality.
By combining green economy and natural capital principles and networks, we can better inspire and innovate for meaningful outcomes. This is a shared opportunity to redefine sustainable economic growth where all business, financial institutions, governments and civil society organizations play a critical role.
The Forum invites all stakeholders to discuss how we can each play a role in greener, economic decision making.
Content of the Forum
Who will attend?
Participation is open to representatives from all African countries, as well as from other continents looking for best practice. We welcome all stakeholders including business, the financial sector, public policy, civil society, academia and others; whether you are new to natural capital and green economy approaches or whether you are experienced and want to share your work.
By attending the conference you will:
- Learn how natural capital based solutions are working on the ground
- Hear how different countries are benefitting from green economic approaches
- Ask your questions to policy makers, businesses, investors and NGOs
- Share your experiences of green economic policy and business opportunities
Registration is free, and managed entirely online.