We're hiring: Deputy Convenor and Director of Engagement
We're looking for a Deputy Convenor and Director of Engagement to take the green economy agenda mainstream
- Location: Can be based at our London or Edinburgh office, international / remote working applications also accepted
- Full Time, Permanent
- Salary of £57,569 - £71,683 per annum
- Job spec: 21-11 G2 Deputy Convenor and Director of Engagement.pdf
- Deadline for applications: 28 November 2021
The Green Economy Coalition (GEC) is a network of over 60 collaborating organisations with a global secretariat hosted by IIED in London. In ten years, we have grown to become a global alliance with eight national hubs. We are united by our shared belief that green and fair economies are possible, necessary and achievable and we work to give citizens a voice, inspire change and hold governments to account.
We are now looking for a Deputy Convenor and Director of Engagement to join our team and spread our green economy agenda to make it mainstream. Whilst this is a full-time, permanent position, we are open to considering flexible working hours, part-time working or job shares.
This is a brilliant opportunity for a senior communications professional or an experienced coalition builder to drive forward our green economy agenda, spreading our message and strengthening our coalition.
You will have the chance to be part of a movement calling for global economic reform, championing the voice of the excluded and holding governments and businesses to account.
If you are ready for a fresh, new challenge and are excited by the scale of our work, we want to hear from you!
As the Deputy Convenor and Director of Engagement, you will be responsible for raising our profile and assisting with the management of our global secretariat.
In this varied role, you will lead the creation and delivery of our communications activities and products, ensuring our brand is recognised and respected in the right places. You will manage our communications, campaigns and advocacy using a partnership approach, primarily with coalition partners.
With network expansion in mind, you will ensure our members are actively engaged and driving our campaigns and advocacy work. You will ensure our events deliver impact and membership value.
Supporting the Convenor with the management of our global secretariat, you will ensure we are a diverse organisation, developing the geographical distribution of our core skills and staff.
In addition, you will use your networks to strengthen existing funding relationships and build new ones, ensuring our organisation is funded and the business development pipeline is strong.
To join us as Deputy Convenor and Director of Engagement, you will need:
- Outstanding and innovative communications expertise
- Multi-media expertise demonstrated through innovative and influential work and publications
- Excellent presentation skills and the willingness to be a media spokesperson
- Experience of working on environmental and development economics, natural capital, inclusion, informality, inequality and how this plays out in all geographies and development contexts
- Substantial experience with international policy frameworks, agreements and initiatives addressing green economy, natural capital and poverty, and inequality and poverty reduction
- A sustained track record in securing funding for different projects from a variety of donors
- The ability to create new strategic funding relationships
- Proven experience of engaging with international organisations, government agencies, academics and NGOs
- To be well networked
- Experience of creating, developing and/or working within consortia, networks, alliances, partnerships and international teams
- Solid project management experience including the management of budgets and people
- Knowledge of the key issues related to transition thinking and the green economy
- A graduate degree in a relevant discipline
As this role spans communications expertise, coalition management and network building, we are open to considering a job share/split between two people. If you do not cover all of the expertise included in the essential criteria but are interested in part of the role, we encourage you to apply. Please state in your covering letter which part of the role you are interested in.
Other organisations may call this role Engagement Director, Head of Engagement, Head of Communications, Head of Media Relations, Campaigns and Digital Communications, Head of Communications and Engagement, Head of Partnerships, or Strategic Partnerships Lead.
IIED and GEC are a committed Disability Confident and accredited Living Wage employer, committed to equal opportunities and the highest standards of diversity, fairness and equality.
If you’re seeking your next challenge as a Deputy Convenor and Director of Engagement, please apply via the button below, or download the Job Specification as a PDF.
Telling better stories to inspire a green future
The stories we tell shape how we view the world and what we think is possible. So to change the future, we need to change our narratives
Right now will always be our last chance to tackle climate change
Reflections on the latest IPCC climate science report and life in the last-chance saloon